But, to really gain the sort of benefits from basketball that you desire, a big of education is in order. Keep reading to gain some wonderful basketball tips and pointers. If you need to improve your basketball shooting ability, practice as if you were really in a game. Rather than taking your time to throw the perfect shot, act as if there are defensive players around you, trying to distract you and take away the ball. This will help you shoot better under pressure and make the shots that count.
Tips to Consider:
- One of the first things you need to learn when it comes to basketball is how to guard the ball. To help develop the skills needed for this, ask your friends for a friendly game of basketball. Invite some players who are skilled to teach you how to guard the ball.
- You want to be prepared for any type of defense the other team plays. While a good chunk of the game will most likely be played in zone, your opponent might flip the switch to man-to-man coverage just to change things up and surprise you. When you don’t know how to defeat it, you will lose.
- Be careful not to travel when dribbling the basketball. Traveling occurs when you take too many steps in between dribbles. It’s most likely to happen when going up for a shot. Just one extra step will mean the difference between a score and a turnover, so practice shooting as often as you can.
- Shoot at least a hundred free throws every day. Not only does this make you a better free throw shooter, but it helps all your shooting. You can step on a court any day of the week familiar with the sight and sound of you putting the ball in the goal. This gives you serious mental confidence, regardless of how or where you actually shoot.
- When dealing with high school basketball players, make sure that they get enough sleep every night. The workouts involved for basketball players are pretty strenuous. That is why it is very important that they get enough rest so that their bodies can recover. They should try to sleep about seven hours each night.
- Learn how to use your hips, eyes, shoulders and entire body while dribbling. This can easily shake a defender off of you while dribbling if you look one way and move another. They are watching your body for clues to where you are going next. Use this to your advantage and throw them incorrect clues to get around them.
- There are some drills you can practice to help you become a better player. For example, power crossovers: first, dribble with your right hand hard, and then quickly move the ball to your left hand. Repeat while passing the ball back to your right hand. This will make you a better at crossovers.
- Consistency in your approach is vital to becoming solid at free throws. Whatever you do before each shot, from dribbles to body motions, should be the same each time. Just make your routine quick, so that it can be consistent, and your body is going to remember just how to nail free throws following your ritual.
- Remember that being good at basketball starts with being athletic. That means working on all of your skills, not just those which involve a ball. Run to build stamina and your cardiovascular health, and lift weights to build your strength. The harder you work on your overall condition, the better you will play.
To win the game you need to take good shots. Good shots are when you have an open arc to the goal with a high-percentage of scoring. No other players on your team should have a better shot than the one you are taking. Otherwise, it’s not a good shot. An appreciation of basketball can lead you toward heightened physical fitness or just a fun way to spend time with friends and family. Learning all you can about basketball can open the door to an entirely new lifestyle. Keep the above information and advice close at hand and start taking full advantage of everything basketball can offer.