Signage is vital for numerous storefronts and business locations, and for many larger business facilities, several different signs or sign types might be used simultaneously. For many such businesses, crafting a comprehensive plan of approach to your signage — one you can update regularly based on your needs — is vital.
This is a much simpler process when you have access to a high-quality custom metal signs manufacturer like Signazon, which offers a wide selection of the best signage in the business. What is a signage plan, why might one be applicable for your business or storefront, and how can you go about approaching this in prudent ways? Here’s a basic rundown.
Breaking Down Signage Plans
When we talk about a signage plan, signage approach or any similar terminology, we’re really just referring to the basic framework and guidelines you set for the signs that will be produced and used by your business. This can involve numerous different factors, from the general purposes and goals of your signage to the more specific details like dimensions, materials, colors and fonts.
For many businesses, having some sort of signage plan is important because it gives them a better chance to unify their branding efforts. This is vital for any business that wants to create a strong and cohesive identity, as it allows all of your signs — from the street signs and building signs to the more specific product signage or sales signs inside your store — to better work together.
A well-crafted signage plan also makes it easier to update your signs on a regular basis, as you can simply revise the existing plan rather than having to start from scratch each time. This is important for many businesses that regularly change their sales, product offerings or other information that needs to be conveyed through signage.
Indicators That You Need a Signage Plan
What are some, ahem, signs that your business might be in need of a more organized signage approach? Here are a few:
- Customers having trouble navigating the store: One of the most common problems that can be remedied with better signage is when customers have trouble navigate your store or facility. This could manifest in a number of ways, from people getting lost inside your store to not being able to find specific products they’re looking for. If you’ve noticed an uptick in customer complaints or support requests along these lines, it’s definitely worth investigating whether better signage could help.
- Your branding looks dated or disorganized: Another common issue that can be remedied with a better signage approach is when your business’ branding appears dated or disorganized. This is often due to using too many different fonts, colors or other design elements on your signage, resulting in a hodgepodge look that does little to convey a strong and cohesive identity. If your branding looks like it’s in need of a refresh, better signage could be part of the solution.
- You’re having trouble adapting to change: As noted above, one of the main benefits of having a signage plan is that it makes it much easier to adapt your signs to changing needs, whether that means updating your sales information or swapping out product signage on a regular basis. If you find yourself struggling to keep up with changes, it’s definitely worth considering implementing a signage plan.
General Tips for Formulating and Executing a Custom Signage Approach
If you’ve determined that some more detail and organization are needed in your business’ signage approach, here are a few general tips to help you get started:
- Define the goals and purposes of your signage: The first step is to clearly define the goals and purposes of your signage. What do you want it to accomplish? How do you want it to look? What type of information does it need to convey? Answering these and other questions will help you to better formulate your approach.
- Consider customer behaviors and movements: As you’re thinking about general goals and purposes, it’s also important to consider the customer behaviors and movements that will be associated with your signage. For example, if you’re placing signs near a storefront entrance, you’ll want to think about what information customers will need as they’re approaching the store.
- Choose sign materials and colors carefully: Once you have a better idea of what your signage needs to accomplish, you can start thinking about specific sign materials and colors. For example, if you want your signs to be visible from a distance, you’ll need to use materials and colors that will contrast well with their surroundings.
- Classify signs based on importance: Not all signs are created equal, so it’s important to classify them based on importance. This will help you to determine things like how big or brightly lit each sign should be.
- Create a unified look: As noted above, one of the main goals of having a comprehensive signage approach is to create a unified look for your business. This means using similar colors, materials and fonts across all of your signage.
- Update signs regularly: It’s important to remember that your signage should be updated on a regular basis. This could mean anything from changing out product information to updating your sales information. By having a plan in place, you can make sure that your signs are always up-to-date.
- Don’t overdo it: While having multiple custom metal signs and other forms of signage can be beneficial, it’s important to avoid going overboard. Too much signage can be overwhelming and confusing for customers.
- Avoid difficult-to-read fonts or designs: Finally, you’ll want to avoid anything that could make your signs difficult to read. This includes using small or busy fonts and designs.
By following these tips, you can develop a comprehensive signage approach that will help you to achieve your goals and keep your business running smoothly. Just be sure to work with quality sign manufacturers like Signazon, who allow you to personalize everything from the design to the materials used in your signs, including custom metal signs. This will ensure that your signs are high-quality and perfectly suited to your needs.