The last few years have been unusual, and Hollywood, like most other industries, has had to make several adjustments. We saw Warner Bros. commit to simultaneously streaming all of their major 2021 releases on HBO Max, with varied outcomes, while other studios used a combination of theater and digital strategies. That is unlikely to change in 2023, but we will still have a great list of upcoming movies for 2023.
Let’s dig deep right away with an exciting list of upcoming movies for 2023:
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
- Directed by: Peyton Reed
- Starcast: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jonathan Majors, and Bill Murray co-star.
- Starting date: February 17, 2023
Despite a year’s delay, Paul Rudd and company are back for round three of this great franchise, which vows some exciting casts, including Jonathan Majors as supervillain Kang the Conqueror. The film also includes Bill Murray as something that raises the bar for suspense.
- Directed by: Michael B. Jordan
- Starcast: Michael B. Tessa Thompson, Jordan, Jonathan Majors, Phylicia Rashad
- Starting on: March 3, 2023
In the third part of the Rocky spin-off Creed franchise, Michael B. Jordan makes his feature directorial debut, playing the son of Rocky’s nemesis-turned-friend Apollo Creed. We are still determining exactly how things will function in this chapter. Still, Jonathan Majors would seem to be Adonis’ ring opponent. Phylicia Rashad and Tessa Thompson are set to reprise their roles as Adonis’ girlfriend and mother, respectively.
- Directed by: Tyler Gillett, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin
- Starcast: Melissa Barrera, Mason Gooding, Jenna Ortega, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Courteney Cox, Hayden Panettiere, Samara Weaving, Tony Revolori
- Starting on: March 10, 2023
Not long after the release of 2022’s Scream, it was revealed that there would be a sequel based on the protagonists who survived that film. Soon after that, it was revealed that Hayden Panettiere would be reprising her character as Kirby Reed from Scream 4.
Unfortunately, this will be the first installment without Neve Campbell, who declined to return after being offered less than she thought she was good enough to justify for the film. Of course, we don’t know how the story will end, but we know it won’t feel the same without Sidney Prescott.
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
- Directed by: David F. Sandberg
- Starcast: Zachary Levi, Lucy Liu, Helen Mirren, Jack Dylan Grazer, Adam Brody, Megan Good, Asher Angel Rachel Zegler
- Starting on: March 17, 2023
Shazam (Zachary Levi) returns, as does his adolescent form Billy Batson (Asher Angel), with his half-siblings who have embraced their superpowers. When newly formed villains Kalypso (Lucy Liu) and Hespera (Helen Mirren), aka Atlas’ daughters, arrive, the kids must learn to come together to defeat them.
John Wick: Chapter 4
- Directed by: Chad Stahelski
- Starring: Keanu Reeves, Lance Reddick, Laurence Fishburne, Ian McShane, Donnie Yen, Hiroyuki Sanada, Bill Skarsgård
- Opening on: March 24, 2023
After a two-year pause due to the COVID-19 virus, Chad Stahelski and Keanu Reeves’ major blockbuster franchise will finally hit theaters in 2023. There is not much information on the film except that John Wick is at odds with and could be declared dead by the High Table, and Stahelski has stated that Chapter 4 may not have a “happy ending” for its central character.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among thieves
- Directed by: Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley,
- Starcast: Chris Pine, Smith, Regé-Jean Page, Hugh Grant, Michelle Rodriguez, Sophia Lillis
- Starting on: March 31, 2023
The popular role-playing game receives a reboot from directors Jonathan Goldstein (Game Night, 2015’s Vacation) and John Francis Daley. With an all-star cast that includes Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, Michelle Rodriguez, Bridgerton breakout star Regé-Jean Page, and others in the upcoming movie Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among thieves.
The Super Mario Bros Movie
- Directed by: Michael Jelenic, Aaron Horvath
- Starcast: Chris Pratt, Jack Black, Anya Taylor-Joy, Keegan-Michael Key, Charlie Day, Fred Armisen, Seth Rogen
- Starting on: April 7, 2023
Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, and Chris Meledandri of Illumination (Despicable Me) are producing this massive modification of the iconic Nintendo character and his friends. Chris Pratt plays the well-known Goomba-stomping plumber who turns up in the Mushroom Kingdom and confronts Keegan-Michael Key’s Toad. Anya Taylor-Joy will play Princess Peach, Jack Black and Seth Rogen will play Bowser and Donkey Kong, respectively, with Charlie Day playing Luigi.
Evil Dead Rise
- Directed by: Lee Cronin
- Starcast: Alyssa Sutherland, Neil Fisher, Gabrielle Echols, Lily Sullivan, Morgan Davies
- Starting on: April 21, 2023
The 5th movie in the Evil Dead franchise, originally scheduled for an HBO Max release in the fall of 2022, will now be released in theaters in the spring of 2023. It’s still being determined whether this film will be related to the originals, the 2013 remake, or if it will stand alone. Still, it will center on two sisters whose reunion is disrupted by the invention of a mysterious novel that summons demons.
This is a power-packed list of upcoming movies for the initial four months of 2023.