Don’t just pick the first lawyer you run into. Choosing the right lawyer takes patience and careful examination, and requires a few specific things. Stay off social media! That means Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. Don’t post photographs of yourself dancing if you’re claiming an injured back! Don’t tell anyone you went water skiing when you claim to have hurt your foot. Just stay off the internet and say as little as possible online instead.
Tips to Consider:
- When in a car accident, write down what happened as soon as you are safe to do so. For example, what you were doing when it happened, how you are hurt, what damage there is to your car, what damage there is to the other car, and what you think caused the accident or how the other driver was at fault.
- If you lost income as a result of your injuries, you will need proof for court. Speak with your employer and ask them to give you a statement that outlines how much money you earn and how many days of work you missed because of what happened to you. Depending on whether you earn an hourly wage or not, your income tax return could also be valuable documentation to bring with you.
- File a report with the police. Filing a police report will give you an official way to document names, date, and time of the incident, as well as the contact information of other involved parties. In many cases, this will be your official record of what occurred. This police report will also be valuable evidence should your case go to trial.
- How quickly does a lawyer get back to you? The answer to this question should play a huge role in which attorney you choose for your personal injury case. Anyone who leaves you hanging for days on end is no good. To figure out how long it will take once hired, multiply how long it took for them to first contact you times three.
- To determine whether a personal injury lawyer is right for you, make sure to ask who they usually represent in these types of cases. Do they tend to work with the person who has been hurt or do they normally represent insurance companies? Furthermore, finding out what their track record is (i.e., how many wins versus losses they have) is important.
- Do not stretch the truth in order to get a bigger settlement in a lawsuit. Many people who are really injured do this, and it results in them having their entire case thrown out. The best thing to do is to be honest and hope for the best with your case.
- Tell every doctor that you see that you are going to court for a personal injury claim. This will let the doctor know that you will be expecting him to document your injuries, treatments and progress, or lack there of, for use in court. If you fail to do this, you may not win your case.
- For personal injury lawsuits, you should only hire an attorney who is an expert in this field. While this may seem obvious, many people assume all lawyers are the same. It is important to find an attorney who knows that aspect of the law inside and out. By failing to have an attorney experienced to handle this type of law, you are going to be at a major disadvantage.
- Make sure to take pictures of any vehicles that were involved in an accident. Take them from different angles so there are no issues later. If people claim that damages were done that were not, you will have solid proof that what they are saying is not what really happened.
If you like to exercise to keep in shape, take the proper precautions to avoid injuring your muscles. Stretch before and after each workout in order to warm up and cool down your muscles. This will make it less likely for you to experience a tear or other personal injury. It’s important to hire the right personal injury lawyer because the wrong one could damage your case. Keep these things in mind. Take your time making the best decision.